Brookwood Baptist Church
Saturday, June 24, 2017
To Make Disciples and to Reach the Lost.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Church History

                
 
 
 
Brookwood Baptist Church was organized on July 7, 1957 by a group of people who gathered in prayer asking for God’s guidance in fulfilling the need for a church in this area. At that time, Jacksonville was a small village with a population of 873. The first church meeting was held in the former VFW Hall. On the very first day, there were 118 people in Sunday school and 142 at the morning worship service. A total of 72 people became members that day. 
 
 
 
 
A temporary building was erected on Richlands Avenue in order to accommodate everyone. The church bought a five acre plot of land outside the city limits on which to build the permanent church building. Little did we know then that this would be right in the heart of Jacksonville as it stands today. 
 
 
 
 
The name Brookwood was selected by taking the last two syllables in Overbrook and Northwoods, the two residential areas surrounding the new church land. The pastorium was completed and occupied on December 23, 1958. Another part of the church was finished and first used on December 17, 1981. 
 
 
 
Many marvelous and miraculous things have taken place since then. We have had many faithful servants come and go through our doors. Hundreds of people have come to know the Lord through our church’s outreach and thousands of lives have been enriched by the ministries here. God continues to work through Brookwood Baptist Church.